Saturday, May 5, 2012

Queens day!


I finally got to experience Queens’s day in Holland.

It’s something else. It’s orange. ;)



My soul mate and I woke up at around 5:30am to get to the flea markets early, at that time already we could see from our bedroom window people setting up their booths.



Walking around the flea markets early morning is awesome, you see so many items, gifts people received that they never liked, old ex-boyfriends gifts, handmade crafts, clothes that they have either grown out of or just don’t want anymore, and sometimes people’s old memories.  



Parents had their children selling away their old toys that they out grew. Some children would sell homemade sweets or little bags of popcorn. The kids with a bit of talent would play their musical instruments or would dance.


All these colors, smells, and noises are what make Queens’s day flea markets magical. There is so much to see and so much going on. I wished I had a watch that would stop time so many times so that there would be enough hours in the day to see it all.

When walking through the streets of Amsterdam you would see the parties. There were windows with their stereo systems blaring out music while people on the street were dancing to the rhythm and drinking their beers.  Sometimes people even set up stages downstairs with Djs.



The canals were full of boats with orange people inside. I have never seen so much traffic on water. Hehehehe.

It took us a long while to walk to the Red Light District to go to a friend’s barbeque. I was so surprised how this person had a little back yard with trees IN the Red Light District. Who would have known?

I also got to experience the spending time with friends on Queens day part. The part of Queens’s day were you sit and relax with your friends and have a good time: drinking and eating.  It was nice to do that after going through crowds of people all morning.



Unfortunately flea markets and outdoor home parties close down all at eight. So time flew!

The trash lying around everywhere is insane, but after eight you already see the city cleaning up, it’s amazing how fast they clean it all up.



 I really wish I can have a watch that stops time for next year! I feel that I saw so little.

Queens’s day for me will always be one of my favorite Dutch holidays for sure; I can’t wait for it again next year! 






1 comment: